About Me

My photo
Just another stay at home mom trying to do it all, save the world, and not run out of coffee.
My published articles: exm.nr/gkA1yp
Twitter: @CarolBruckmann

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Worship minus Warfare

Remember this?
What ever happened to singing the great songs of Christian battle? I'm a big fan of all the worship and praise songs found in most traditional or contemporary services today, but maybe we've lost one of the focuses of Christianity. In this old hymnal I'm using for an art project there are 20 hymns under the title "Christian Warfare". Is this perhaps a reflection of our increasingly pluralistic society or of our tendency to focus on the love of Christ above other biblical doctrines in the modern Church? How apropos to modern American Christians are these lyrics from the early 1800s hymn "My Soul, Be On Thy Guard"?

My soul, be on thy guard; Ten thousand foes arise;
The hosts of sin are pressing hard To draw thee from the skies.

O watch and fight and pray; The battle ne'er give o'er;
Renew it boldly every day, And help divine implore.

Ne'er think the vict'ry won, Nor lay thine armor down;
Thy arduous work will not be done Till thou obtain thy crown.

Fight on, my soul, till death Shall bring thee to thy God;
He'll take thee, at thy parting breath, To his divine abode. A-MEN


No comments:

Post a Comment

Shalom Seekers