About Me

My photo
Just another stay at home mom trying to do it all, save the world, and not run out of coffee.
My published articles: exm.nr/gkA1yp
Twitter: @CarolBruckmann

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Great Lent Let-go

(Or for my Jewish friends may I humbly suggest The Great "Passover Purge"? I love alliteration.)

This isn't some grand plan to get your house clean. If you want that, check out 31 Days to Clean or FlyLady. It is hopefully a simple focus away from possessions and onto God. Many people give up something for Lent, be it chocolate, Facebook, or Friday steaks. If that helps you focus on God, go for it.

But I'm suggesting something a little different this year. Each day of Lent (40 days or 6 weeks if you count Sundays) get rid of one thing in your house. It can be as simple of a piece of paper you throw in a recycle bin. It can be as complex as cleaning out your closet and giving the clothes to charity. But do one thing every day and make a conscious decision to focus on the spiritual rather than the physical. I think it will open our eyes to just how much we lay up treasures for ourselves on earth, and maybe we will decide to lay up some treasures in heaven!

Matthew 6:19-21 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

The Rules (which can totally be broken):
  1. It has to be your stuff. My husband fears I will start tossing his things out left and right.
  2. Don't go overboard the first few days and burn yourself out.
  3. If you put it into a box to take to Goodwill, you can't take it back out.
  4. Post below in the comments section the things you toss, or post pics on your blog, Facebook/Google+ page, or Twitter and link back to this page. (Feel free to use my graphic below if you link it back to here.)
We begin tomorrow - Ash Wednesday. Who is in??
The Great Lent Let-go: clean house, clean heart

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a fabulous idea! I am on board! My husband is going to be thrilled, as he's always trying to get me to throw more stuff out. I can't wait to get started with a right heart and for the right reasons. -Stephanie :-D

    ReplyDelete

Shalom Seekers