About Me

My photo
Just another stay at home mom trying to do it all, save the world, and not run out of coffee.
My published articles: exm.nr/gkA1yp
Twitter: @CarolBruckmann

Monday, January 10, 2011

2010 Flashback - Caitlyn and Elijah's birthday party


When your family all live out of town and your children's birthdays are a few weeks apart, I think it's a bit much to expect people to come to both parties. So the goal is to find creative party ideas and themes that will let us squish both parties into one day. This year I needed something that would make a great smash cake for Elijah, so we went with a princess and the frog theme! I can't take credit for the cakes, that was my sorority sister Angela, but I was thrilled to pull off the cupcakes at least!

It was actually a crazy day. It turned out that my mom's parents both ended up in the hospital, so only my immediate family and Jamie's parents were there as far as family. Thankfully we had invited some friends as well as some of Caitlyn's friends from when she was in daycare. We purchased a $30 blowup pool from BJs for entertainment, and I stayed up all night filling up water balloons (and cleaning my house... let's be honest). The party was a blast, but the thing Caitlyn remembers most is everyone yelling for Elijah to "destroy the cake!"




In order to make their actual birthdays special we took Elijah to the mall on his real birthday to ride the train and carousel. I made what I thought were his favorite foods - fettuccine alfredo, applesauce, and vanilla ice cream. On Caitlyn's real birthday she woke up to a dollhouse in her room! After church our neighbor came over for lunch and playtime, and at dinner we ate on the fancy china. (Hey, when else am I going to pull it out?) She chose the menu - pigs in a blanket and macaroni & cheese. When I insisted on a vegetable or salad course she chose clementine oranges.

Hopefully I won't run out of themes before they hit the "slumber party" age!


More pictures can be seen by clicking here.



1 comment:

  1. I love your flashbacks. You think it would be too much for me to do that for my kids when I retire? LOL That is when I might get to it. I still haven’t done Steven’s scrapbooks.

    ReplyDelete

Shalom Seekers